This morning I ran 18 miles. It was one of my better long runs lately because, although I went slower than I wanted, my energy and pace stayed pretty consistent and I was happy the whole run! When I finished I felt like I could still go farther. Win. Total time: 3:30
I realize that when I first started distance running, the whole week would lead up to it. I’d start mentally preparing myself on Monday and that’d cause me to push harder on my shorter runs, drink more water, gent enough sleep… or to generally be a good runner. Looking forward to the run makes the mileage so much more enjoyable than just getting through it to be done. I was a ‘good runner’ this week and it really showed today!
Food for Life sent me their new Ezekiel 4:9® Sprouted Flax Bread to sample. I’ve always loved Ezekiel 4:9® sprouted breads but was excited to try this one because of the sprouted flax seeds throughout.
Verdict? Delicious and nutritious. It’s hearty but just soft enough. The flavor is delicious (it tastes healthy in a good way) but plenty mild for recipes. Plus, the nutrition is awesome:
- an excellent source of Omega 3 and 6 essential fatty acids (EFAs)
- complete protein containing all 9 essential amino acids
- 100% flourless and free of conditioners, additives, artificial flavors, colors and preservatives
- no added fat and is low-glycemic, diabetic-friendly, pH-balanced and kosher-certified
- each slice of contains 90mg of Omega 3, 5g of protein, 4g of dietary fiber and 18 amino acids from vegetable sources.
It fueled me perfectly before this morning’s run with almond butter and a banana.
And it is especially fantastic as French toast!!
What’s your favorite pre-run meal?