I used to have a tradition at the end of every year. I’d take stock of my life and set five to 10 goals I wanted to accomplish in the next year.
In 2010 I ran several marathons (including two ultra marathons), completed an Ironman, increased my yoga practice, found my career passions with lululemon, left a dead relationship, found love, got engaged, and moved to North Carolina. I challenged myself on every level, left my comfort zone several times and found new levels of satisfaction and happiness
The biggest change came when I found lululemon in January. I learned about open communication and effective goal setting. Through setting specific, measurable goals for one, five and 10 years down the road I began to uncover what was really important to me and the list of things I wanted to do in life. Now, instead of a jotted down list of what I want to accomplish in the next 12 months, I continually update a set list of intentional goals.
Below is what I’m working on. Here’s how you can set intentional goals, too!
1. I post daily to healthyashley.com by 7/1/11.
2. Ten percent of our household income goes to savings by 8/1/11.
3. I have read 5 new books by 12/31/11.
1. HealthyAshley.com brings 10,000 views/day by 10/1/12.
2. Richard and I have our first child by 6/25/14.
3. I visit three foreign countries by 3/1/15.
1. I run a marathon while pregnant by 6/25/17.
2. My family and I travel outside the United States once each year by 10/1/18.
3. Richard and I have our third child by 6/25/20.
1. I maintain my “happy weight” by 6/25/11.
2. I run a 9 min./mi. pace for 10 miles by 8/1/11.
3. I do a full handstand by 10/1/11.
1. I complete the Big Sur Marathon in California by 10/1/13.
2. I am a certified yoga instructor by 1/1/14.
3. I hike the Grand Canyon by 10/1/15.
4. I complete a 50 mi. ultra marathon by 12/1/15.
1. I complete 5 Ironman triathlons by 10/1/20.
2. I complete a marathon outside the United States by 10/1/16.
3. I am active with my family 3 times/week by 10/1/18.
1. I am Assistant Manager of a lululemon by 7/1/11.
2. I attend two writing workshops by 12/1/11.
1. I am Store Manager of a lululemon by 6/1/11.
2. I publish healthy living articles in print by 3/1/13.
1. I publish a book by 3/1/18.
2. I am a stay-at-home-mom/freelancing author by 10/1/18.
updated April 19, 2011